Monday 30 March 2015

Walk #4 Malvern Hills, Worestershire

Walk 3 out of 100
Walk #4 - Malvern Hills
Worcestershire 

Overall Rating - 







Suggested Difficulty - Moderate
My Difficulty Rating - 

Suggested Time - 4h
Actual Time Taken - 3h 26m

Distance in book - 13.5km
Map my walk Distance - 15.16km

British Camp Pass car park, Start/Finish.
And so the journey continues all the way to walk number 3, if you all thought I would have packed it all in by walk 2, well I thought I would have by now too! So for this one I went for another familiar place from the past. I have never walked up the Malverns but I had several visits as a kid to the Three Counties Showground. Even played a rugby match (and lost!) against the school team there too. I always knew Malvern was a nice place so it seemed like a no brainer that the views from the iconic hills would also be pretty swell.

One of the views from Herefordshire Beacon.

The car park for the British Camp Pass was pretty easy to find with the trusty Google maps (other popular map providers are available!) and there are plenty of other car parks in the area if you wanted to do any other walks. BUT... £3 to park, shock, horror, disaster, the first place I've had to pay for parking so far, but I don't mind as long as it helps the conservation and not some rich guys net worth!



St Wulstan's Church
I have given the walk an overall 3 star rating, I'd say it was pretty similar to the Clent Hills walk I did a few weeks ago, but I would rate the 360 degree view from the top of the Worcestershire Beacon much better than the views from Clent. It seemed fairly rated in the book as Moderate, there were a few decent sized inclines, but nothing unmanageable and nothing too loose or rocky. The hardest part was the climb up the Worcestershire Beacon, but is totally worth it for the view. 


Clent Hills in the distance (walk #15)
Again, I managed to take off some of the time from the estimated time in the book and somehow covered more distance, not sure what happened there! A slight accidental detour was taken early on, for which I will gladly point the finger at the directions provided, but I think the extra bit of woodland and little stream improved the walk if anything. The end of the route in the book seemed a bit lazy as you just had to take any route back, not for everyone but some may prefer that.


Easterly view from Worcestershire Beacon

North Westerly view from Worcestershire Beacon




I would recommend this walk to anybody really, easy access, nothing too difficult and great views. It is certainly one to test the panoramic ability of your smart phone. I imagine it would look even more beautiful in summer with blue skies but I refuse to complain, I'm amazed that after 3 walks I have managed to avoid the famous British precipitation (cue a wash out for walk 4). 
Also want to say a big thanks to Neil for being my travel companion for the day!

Thanks for reading, 

Stef.


And follow me on Twitter @stefanvilla1991  


No comments:

Post a Comment